The Four R's of Ethical Hunters
Hunters are judged by how they appear in the public's eyes. In order to promote a positive image of hunters to the public, hunters must follow the four R's of hunter ethics.
1. Respect for Self
- Learn everything you can about the game you are hunting.
- Know and understand why bag limits are set, and adhere to the daily bag limits. Know and respect the legal seasons of the game animals being hunted.
- Practice marksmanship long before the hunting season to ensure a clean, swift harvest of game animals.
- Plan and prepare before going on a hunt.
- Get in shape, both mentally and physically, well before the hunting season starts.
- Do not drink alcohol or do drugs while firearms are being handled or when hunting.
- Follow all the safe firearms handling rules.
- Carry your hunting license and required game tags with you at all times while hunting.
- Understand that the enjoyment of the hunt is more important than the quantity of game harvested.