Chapter 14: Know Your Archery Gear
Dating back to the earliest period of civilization, people have been using bows and arrows for harvesting game. And for good reason. It's a very efficient and effective tool. It served the earliest hunters well in taking down even the most ferocious animals - think of a cave bear and you have a good idea of the kind of prey this tool could defeat. While today's hunters generally face less deadly targets, they can count on the timeless reliability of this tool- from longbow to recurve to compound - to get the job done. Before going out in the field, consult local bow hunting laws and enroll in a bow hunter education course.
Goals for This Chapter
You may have to show the following skills and/or knowledge at your Field Day:
NOTE - the numbers listed below correspond the the program objectives listed on the "Firearms Safety Education Program" print-out, available in your exam center.
- [7.1.1] Identify and explain the differences between the four types of bows
- [7.1.2] Identify the different parts of an arrow, the different arrow tips and their function
- [7.1.3] Explain the use of archery safety gear
- [7.1.4] Define draw weight, draw length, and explain how a shooter should select a properly fitting bow and arrow
- [7.1.5] Identify the different safety rules for handling broadhead points
- [7.1.6] Go through the steps of shooting a bow properly and safely