Loading and Firing a Muzzleloading Firearm
Loading and firing a muzzleloading firearm can be a pretty impressive sight if you've never seen it done before. Make sure you have an experienced muzzleloader shooter around to show you and answer any questions you might have.
- Always read the owner's manual for any firearm.
- Always ensure the firearm is pointed upward and away from your face and body for loading.
- Use a stable rest for your firearm so it doesn't tip over.
- Check to see if the muzzleloader is loaded by inserting a pre-marked ramrod into the barrel.
- When the mark on the ramrod disappears into the barrel, this means the firearm is unloaded.
- Begin steps to load the firearm consistent with the manufacturer's instructions.
Important! To safely unload a muzzleloading firearm, shoot into a suitable backstop such as a practice target, dirt mound, or ground that is free of rocks and debris.