The Twelve Commandments of Firearm Safety
Safety commandments are important rules that must be followed at all times to prevent firearm accidents from occurring.
The first four commandments are known as “The Vital Four ACTS” of firearm handling.
1. Assume every firearm is loaded.
2. Control the muzzle direction at all times.
3. Trigger finger must be off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
4. See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.
5. Be sure of your target and beyond.
6. Never shoot a rifle at water or a hard, flat surface.
7. Only point a firearm at things you want to shoot.
8. Never climb a tree or cross a fence with a loaded firearm.
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately.
10. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of all obstructions.
11. Unload firearms when not in use.
12. Avoid drugs and alcoholic beverages.