Saskatchewan Hunter Safety Course


Getting Your Licenses

Hunting License

Hunting Licenses

There are license vendors throughout the Province.  You will need to obtain a Habitat Certificate, Migratory Bird Permit (if hunting migratory birds) and your various licenses for the species you intend to hunt.  You will need to have your Saskatchewan Health Card when purchasing your licenses.  If you are a minor, don’t forget to have your parents sign the Parental Consent portion of the Habitat Certificate!

The Draw System

Licenses for some species of big game animals are allocated by a draw system.  In these cases, you must apply for a license and hope you are successfully drawn for that species.

Here is how it works.  First, you should start looking for information on the upcoming seasons and draws in early spring (usually March or April).  Pay particular attention to the deadline for application (usually end of May).

Read carefully the information provided to you.  Many applications are rejected because the information was incomplete or incorrect.  Fill out your application carefully.

When filling out your zones of choice, you are asked to choose a few in order of preference.  It is important for you to fill this part in as completely as possible as it can improve your chances of success.

The draw is based on a priority or pool system.  There are four pools you can be in depending on your draw history – Super A, A, B, or C.

All first time applications are automatically placed in the A pool.  When the drawing starts, hunters are drawn first from the Super A pool.  If the quota is not yet filled, they will then begin drawing from the A pool, and so on down to the C pool.

Now, if you are successful and you are drawn for a species, you will be bumped down to the C pool in the following year.   In two years you would be in the B pool.  In three years you are back in the A pool (if not successfully drawn again).  The process to here occurs automatically.  In other words, if you are drawn and end up in the C pool the following year, you will move to the B and then to the A pools in subsequent years whether you apply or not.

To get to the Super A pool, you must first be in the A pool when you applied for the draw.  If you are not successful, you will be moved to the Super A pool the following year.  Now, to retain your Super A status you must apply for the draw each year.  If you do not apply in any year, while you are in the Super A pool, you will drop to the A pool the following year.  You would remain in the A pool until successful or moved once again to the Super A pool by applying unsuccessfully from the A pool.

Remember that each species is treated separately on the draw.  You could be in the A pool for one, the Super A pool for another and the C pool for another, again depending on your past success and application history.  Please contact SE Wildlife Branch for more information.