Saskatchewan Hunter Safety Course


Minor's Licence

A Minor's Licence may be issued for persons from the age of 12 to the day before their 18th birthday with the consent of a parent or guardian. The licence allows a minor to possess and use a non-restricted firearm under conditions of supervision. Some of the conditions include: using a firearm for target practice, hunting game or receiving instruction in the use of a firearm.

Exceptions to these conditions can be made for minors who need the use of firearms to sustain themselves or their families. In these special cases, there is no minimum age and no supervisory conditions. There is a $10.00 annual fee (to a maximum of $30.00) for a Minor's Licence.

Please note: For all 16 and 17 year old hunters in Saskatchewan, the Provincial Wildlife Act allows you to hunt without supervision. If you are going to be hunting with a firearm (not a bow and arrow or crossbow), you must have a federal Minor's Licence allowing you to be in possession of the firearm you are using.

If you are ever in doubt about the laws regarding firearm possession in Saskatchewan, you should contact the Canadian Firearm Centre in Ottawa.

Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

If you are 18 or older, to possess and/or acquire a firearm in any manner anywhere in Canada, you must first get a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL).

To apply for a PAL:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older;
  • You must provide proof that you meet training requirements;
  • You must provide a verified photograph;
  • You must complete an application form and give the names of two references who have known you for three years;
  • You must provide information on spouses or common-law partners you have been with over the past two years;
  • You must answer questions on health, work/schooling and other personal information;
  • You must provide verification of successful completion of the Canadian Firearm Safety Course (and the Canadian Restricted Firearm Safety Course if applying for restricted firearm privileges).


There is a non-refundable fee for a PAL depending on the class of firearms you require on your licence, payable upon application.

Processing the Application

You can get a PAL application form from the Canadian Firearm Centre.

You must wait at least 28 days before your PAL is issued. However, if you already have a valid licence and are applying for a new one, your new PAL may be issued without waiting the full 28 days.

During the processing period, the firearms officer may interview your neighbours, family members, social workers or others to assist in the thorough screening of PAL applicants. If a firearms officer refuses to issue a PAL, the officer must notify you in writing of the refusal and of the reasons for the refusal and provide you with documentation about the appeal process. You then have a maximum of 30 days to request the firearms officer to refer the opinion to a provincial court judge.

Having a PAL allows you to possess and acquire firearms anywhere in Canada for a five-year period.