Using watercraft to hunt from, or to get to locations where other hunters do not frequent, can be a lot of fun - reminiscent of the adventures and exploration that our forefathers experienced. Hunting for ducks and other kinds of fowl involves being near or in various bodies of water - with or without the help of watercraft. Safe hunting requires that you plan and prepare for these special conditions.
These are the most common causes of hunting-related incidents that involve watercraft:
- Not following proper firearm safety and handling rules
- Standing in watercraft while shooting
- Not wearing an approved personal flotation device
- Slipping or falling when entering or exiting watercraft
- Not knowing the safety rules for safe watercraft handling
Avoid making those kinds of mistakes by observing the following rules.